Monday 26 September 2011

Mixing business and pleasure in Brighton

There won't be too much activity on this blog in the next few day - at least, not from me - as I'll be heading down to FANTASYCON in Brighton, where I have a few items of business to deal with.

First off, on Friday night (Sept 30th), at 11.50pm, I'll be hosting the 'midnight movie slot' by presenting THE DEVIL’S ROCK, which, by all accounts has gone down great guns during its recent New Zealand release.


Pictured is the street poster that accompanied the movie's debut in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

The latest reviews are very favourable.

HORRORNEWS.NET says of us:

THE DEVIL'S ROCK is everything that I love about an effective horror film. Some of the best horror films have been slow burns. They build the tension and suspense through character. When the reveal does make an appearance (though apparent) it still manages to give you a jolt ... This is a film that might fly under the radar but worth your time to seek out.


In addition at FANTASYCON I'll be publicising (and hopefully selling a few copies) of my first ever horror anthology as editor - TERROR TALES OF THE LAKE DISTRICT. This collection from Gray Friar Press presents ten original works of fiction, plus three classic reprints, not to mention numerous anecdotal accounts of real incidents of paranormal terror - all with a Lake District background. Such luminaries as Ramsey Campbell, Reggie Oliver, Adam Nevill, Peter Crowther and others, light up our pages. The amazing artwork (pictured) is by Steve Upham. My aim is to create a new series of regionally-themed British horror anthologies, with this one the first installment.


After this, the other main item on the agenda is the BRITISH FANTASY AWARDS. I have three titles on the final shortlist - ONE MONSTER IS NOT ENOUGH (Gray Friar) and WALKERS IN THE DARK (Ash-Tree) in the capacity of Best Collection By A Single Author and SPARROWHAWK (Pendragon) in the capacity of Best Novella.

This is the most pieces of work I've ever had still in the running at this late stage in the prestigious annual awards. It doesn't mean I've won anything. All three may flunk - after all there is some sterling opposition, but it's very nice to make the final ballot in any shape or form as it means that, if nothing else, my peers regard my output last year as being worth something. Of course, it would be nice to actually win ... but that's in the lap of the gods, as they say.

1 comment:

  1. Heartiest best wishes on my part, because I sincerely believe you as an author who deserves these awards.

    ReplyDelete