Monday 28 February 2011

Sincere thanks to Waterstone's at Wigan


Thanks to those who made it to the Waterstone’s book-signing, in Wigan, last Saturday afternoon. In the end I think I shifted a decent number of books. Most of the store’s copies of Stronghold went, and Sparrowhawk sold out entirely, so that was a bit of a result. It was also pleasant to chat with people about what it means to be a writer trying to make a living in this day and age, even those who in the end opted not to buy.

A few folk also asked about the much promoted movie version of Stronghold, but I wasn't able to enlighten anyone, as - thus far - I haven't had much involvement with its development.

I think we benefitted from having the Wigan Athletic v Manchester United fixture in town at the same time, not to mention the Wigan Warriors v St. George-Illawarra Dragons Rugby League World Club Challenge pre-match press conference just down the mall, as, by around lunchtime, both of those events had swelled the number of shoppers and browsers to what was probably maximum capacity – and quite a few of them strayed into my presence.

For those who missed it, there is a possibility I’ll be in the store again in April, when my Dr Who novel, HUNTER’S MOON, is released – though that isn’t a firm fixture just yet.

I ought to offer special thanks to those staff on duty at the store, as I was looked after with great care and attention. All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Pictured is yours truly, inscribing a book for my first customer of the day, who, rather delightfully was waiting next to the desk when I arrived, some half an hour before we were due to start. She proved to be very pleasant and very chatty, and had a flattering knowledge of my work. These are definitely the perks of the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment